Hi everyone! Just a quick update from me! The light(electricity) has been coming and going so I'm not sure how much time I'll have.
This week was changes and the last week of the month so it's been crazy! But it's been pretty sweet because I found out that I'm going to get to stay with my companion Elder Lagos for another month and a half to finish his training!
Another fun thing was they finished our new house! So we got to move into it this morning. Elder Hill and his companion woke up early to come to help us so that was awesome! I'll send pictures of the before and after!
This house later became known as the "Casa de Alacranes" or the Scorpion House. Every day we'd wake up and there would be spiders, scorpions, or some other bug crawling up the walls. We had the mission nurses use their funds to buy us some Guatemalan style raid. I'm not sure what's in the stuff but the scorpions don't like it. Especially when we use it like a flame thrower. Also, I'm not sure if I've told this story yet, but I got stung in my sleep by one of the scorpions.
I woke up to a searing pain on my forehead and went to the pila(sink) to start putting cold water on it. My whole face was hot, and I was still in a sleepy daze to know what was going on. To make matters worse, the light had gone out (a very common occurrence) and, I couldn't see where to walk. It must have been a revelation, but I started to think what could happen and I had a vague impression of brushing something off my face while I was waking up that was hanging off of the mosquito net. I rummaged around my bed until I saw a scorpion! I thought I could probably die, because one, it was the middle of the night and no busses would be going to Reu, two there were no hospitals in El Codo, and I figured that this was a very serious sting since it was on my forehead. I woke up Elder Lagos and told him I needed a blessing to survive and told him to pray for a miracle. He assured me that there were actually two types of scorpions in central America, "alacranes" and "Escorpoines" the alacranes don't stand up on their legs but they go out and aren't nearly as poisonous as the other ones. He told me I didn't need a blessing and would be fine but I made him give me one anyway. I laid back down after that and then had the thought that the scorpion I had envisioned brushing off my head was much bigger than the one I had just found and killed. I bolted awake and turned my pillow over to reveal and found ANOTHER SCORPION! Crazy. The rest of the day my face was completely numb, and apparently, everyone was talked to thought it was hilarious that I got stung by a scorpion, my companion loved telling people that I thought I was gonna die.
This week we went to help an investigator clean up a bunch of their yard. The people here just throw trash on the ground and then sweep everything up and light it on fire so we help them all clean their yard and then my comp taught me how to find tarantulas. Definitely, something I wasn't too keen to know. Apparently, they live in little holes in the ground and I had been walking over them all along. But just pour a little water in them and they come right out. I'll be sure to send some photos. Uhhh I hate those things!
I pulled out a Book of Mormon in the middle of a lesson and this bad boy was on it. I just took a picture of it and took it as a sign that we should teach a different lesson.
This week we went to go help at an orphanage but we ended up not going in because of something that came up and they scheduled us to come another day. But because we waited so long we had to spend the night in Reu.
This month our zone has been working really hard and guess what? We broke the baptism record for the zone that has been there for 2 years. That means that we helped 30 sons and daughters of God take the step of baptism to start on the path that leads to our Heavenly Father. Every single baptism was a miracle and we ended up being zone of the month so next week we're gonna do something special for pday.
But the baptism of Celeste was such a miracle. We have been teaching her forever! She's been hearing things from her grandma about how our church is horrible and everything. I think I wrote about it in my last letter. But despite all of that she has stayed pretty firm on her decision. However the day of the baptism we were in Reu and came back a little late. When we went to pick her up nobody was going to go to the baptism from her family. She was obviously bummed out and almost decided to not do it. But we animated everyone. (Is that a good use of the English language? In Spanish it makes perfect sense.) She ended up going with a bunch of her primos! I'll be sure to send pictures of that! But ya that was basically the week!
It's so been awesome! Our zone now is super young. My Bud Elder Hill got moved up to District Leader and is training and now there are two more Hermanas training in our zone. So It's a super young zone! But were seeing a bunch of miracles.
I know that this is the Lords's work. The church is true. I know that Jesus is my Savior. And I invite everyone to come to know the same.
Love,
Elder Pugmire










No comments:
Post a Comment