Saturday, November 22, 2014

Week 15...11/19/14...800 Tamales!

Well, here we are again on a Wednesday. We had some more crazy circumstances (Lyzandro had to move to Mexico so he shut his computer shop down worried about the gangs) that have pushed us back to writing on Wednesday so that's why I'm a bit late for the update. On Monday we had to travel to a zone wayyyy up in the mountains where I actually felt cold which really is a strange feeling after being so warm for so long! I don't know how I'm supposed to go back to Minnesota right before the winter starts. We got back at 5 and Hermano Lysandro still had not opened his shop and the other shop was full so we just went to work early. Then on Tuesday, we had the opportunity to work with one of the sets of Assistants to the President so we were running around all day trying to confirm baptismal dates for our investigators. So that has us writing today.

Man, this week was insane food-wise. The food here makes me want to cry most of the time. But I've learned how to enjoy it these last couple of weeks. We usually have chicken, rice, and beans for lunch which is the biggest meal of the day and then if we have dinner it's an egg with beans and platanos which are amazing! (Unlike the fried bananas I attempted to cook one time for Spanish extra credit.) This week we went to give service for one of our converts. her daughter turned 15 the other day so we went to help her get ready for the party. Their family is super poor but everyone was helping so that they could have a big party. Us elders gave 400Q to cover the cost of the food. It's a ton of money here but really only like 50 bucks in the states. It makes me feel terrible knowing how privileged I've been all my life. When here people have a family and only earn 40Q a day. Anyways... We went to make tamales for Hermana Amelia and ended up making over 800!

Here's the quick process of tamales. They had this HUGE pot of Masa or dough, then raw chicken, and a giant pot of beans, peppers, and raisins. You put a scoop of masa in a banana leaf and then put a piece of chicken in the middle with the raisin and pepper. Then you fold it up nicely and put it in another giant pot to cook 400 at a time over a small fire. I've got a ton of pictures you can analyze.










Also food wise I made these amazing omelets!!!! I was so full afterward.



I've obviously still got the gift!

This week I had the chance to work with a ton of leaders. One of the best ones was with Elder Berrios who is one of our zone leaders. He is such an amazing teacher! I learned a ton from him in just a few visits we had together. 

Monday was super cool! We went up to San Pedro to spend some time with the zone up there. We bought some super good Pan and then went to play soccer with them. It was a blast! A bunch of the elders stocked up on corte which is the fabric made here in Guatemala which is super cool, but pretty expensive. 

This week we ran into a bunch of new investigators. We seemed to have run into the group of Alcoholics Anonymous because right now we are teaching 3 people who are all friends through the AA. We're teaching them a lot about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and how they can lean on His atonement to give up their addiction. So hopefully we can continue to help them!

Changes are coming up really quick and I'm kinda nervous because either my companion or I probably will get changed. Most likely it will be Elder Lagos but you never really know!

 Also this week in my personal study and also later in a district meeting we learned about prayer. Man, I've really been slacking and recently my prayers have been so different! I learned that prayer should be a conversation. giving comments to the Lord about your day and always seeking revelation on what you should be doing the next day. Also, it should be lead by the Spirit not only praying for the Spirit but you should seek to listen to know what to pray for. So that was super interesting!

My heart aches for the Schoonover family and all that they are going through. It's a blessing for me to know that through the plan of salvation, after this life there is more and that they will once again get to see Patrick. But surely they will constantly be in my thoughts and prayers.


That's all for this week! Love you all!
Love,
Elder Pugmire

No comments:

Post a Comment